Thursday, October 28, 2010

All you can eat squirrel buffet

You might remember a couple of posts back that we went on a nature walk and came back with all these unknown-nuts.

After the post and comments and some searching around I found out that they were horse-chestnuts and that they ARE NOT to be eaten by people! Small let down there when I thought I found all these FREE chestnuts. All well. I did read that squirrels love them though. And the kids and I do love to watch the squirrels outside on our porch. We’ve left them our apple cores from time to time. So I got a pie pan and placed ALL of our horse-chestnuts on it, there must have been 60 or so. Well this morning, those squirrels thought they had died and gone to heaven! We sat down and watched 3 squirrels come back and forth taking those nuts one at a time for the next 2 hrs! I took around 400 pictures of the same thing over and over again! What can I say, I’m a photographer and you DON’T stop shooting till it’s all over cause you never know if you’re going to get a better picture later. It’s digital – you can always delete later. So I’ve picked out my favorite pictures of the squirrels buffet and share them with you! So brace yourself for a lot of pictures. I’m sure you’ll going to be sick of squirrels by the time you’re done looking at these. Sorry for the blue like fog over some of the pictures, that’s my shirts reflection in the window. I did try changing the tables position from time to time to get a better picture.

~ sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont ~ ... what a bumb song.
this piggy eater? I call him "Robert". he lives in the tree behind the fench farther down the fench from us. do you see how he's stuffing 2 nuts in his mouth!

the kids has such a blast watching them come up so close. but being kids they kept trying to scare the squirrels by pretending to be ghosts and yell BOO! at them.

some of my favorite pictures here. I really do love squirrels, I know everyone thinks they are a minus and just rats with fluffy tails but I think they're very cute. I would to do a book someday with the squirrels as the main chracters.
this one became my favorite, she lives in the BIG tree outside and she continued to put up a paw to her chest, almost danty like. I call her "Susie"

they weren't exactly eating all the nuts right then and there. it was mostly a race to see who could hide them all. I got to see some of their hiding spots are. I bet we made their storage for the winter a LOT easier!

I think it's so cute watching them stretch out their bodies to get where they want to go.
this one I started to call "gramps" he had these BIG fluffy patches of white hair behind his ears that almost looked like he had white ears when he was far off.

I got some awesome pictures of them jumping from one porch to the other. wouldn't it be cool if you could jump that far?

after a while they started to act more comfortable around us and started to lay down right on the other side of the window from us. kind of like a pet laying down at the his masters feet. it was weird.

almost all gone... they did in dead that ALL the nuts and everything else we put out there.

I was taking so many pictures I had to replace my batteries. I have to say, EVERY TIME I have to replace my batteries in my camera, I feel like Tom Selleck reloading my trusty rifle in the middle of a showdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment