Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our Hotel Room

I know many of you asked me what our hotel room looked like. We’re currently in a better room then the fist 3 weeks that we were here. This one feels a lot bigger and has a WAY better kitchen!!! I do lose the kids cubby hole but it’s shown not to be that big of a deal.

As soon as you walk in, there is a BIG hallway with a closet on the left and a full mirror on the right. I didn’t take a picture of this cause it was just a hallway. But when you walk into the room, you enter the living room seen here. As you can guess I took these pictures as soon as we moved in cause the room was clean and set up the way THEY (hotel people) like it set up. There is a desk over there with a lamp on it. That’s where I keep my computer most of the time and my bag of craft projects. There is a door on the right there that opens up to the parking lot which makes it really nice when were unloading a bunch of groceries from the car and you don’t want to have to use the hotel key every few seconds to get thru all the doors between your parked car and the kitchen fridge. The couch turns into the kids bed which is actually not that bad (comfort wise).


This is the other angle of the living room. You can see there is a flat screen TV above the fireplace. Sometimes after the maids clean they put these 2 small coffee tables back to where you see them now, but I keep them right in front of the fire place. It’s actually a very dangerous spot for the kids. There are 3 switches on the base of the fire place on the left and if you turn them all in the same direction POOF the fire combusts right up. SO SCARY! But I’m trying my best to kid-proof it. I keep putting the tables in front and constantly check the buttons to make sure they are all pointing on the same direction for “OFF”. On the wall over there is a poster duck-taped on the wall. It has stickers and leaves taped on it, I was going to use it to put up things from our trip, but it makes the maids nervous and the blog, and our journal do a better job anyhow so I’ve thrown it away since then.


this is our kitchen, its WAY bigger than the last one we had. As you can see it has lots of cabinets and a dishwasher…


… and a over, stove top, air vent, and fridge.


This is the table nook. Lol. Now are you LOOKING at how SMALL this table is!!?? And the only 2 chairs!? Lol. What were they thinking giving you all this space, a “home for 4” and yet NOT providing a decent place to eat. Luckily I brought Andrews “attach to the table high chair” so that usually takes care of a place for Andrew to sit, and then we just pull up the rolling chair from the desk area. but even then, it’s a VERY TIGHT fit for all of us and our plates when we sit down to eat. And when Andrews in his high chair, there always has to be someone sitting at the table to keep Andrew from falling over cause his body weight compared to the small light table is too much. He actually tipped over one time but thankfully he wasn’t hurt too badly, mostly scared. During the day, I just have the kids sit in the 2 chairs and I’ll stand to eat or pull out the rolly chair. Andrew prefers a big kid chair anyhow.


Here’s the master bed room. I don’t know WHY every home is built this way but the master bed room is always the LAST spot to get air conditioning and yet that’s where the people want it cold the most when trying to go to sleep. Its actually been proven that people sleep better when their room is a few degrees on the cold side. And as anyone could say after visiting out home, we like it cold. Well up to a few days ago Derick was constantly complaining the room was too hot at night when we were trying to go to sleep, but I would tell him he cant keep turning down the thermostat cause our kids were cold as ice in the morning so NIKKI saved the day with her close all the other air vents in the home idea! Me so smart, me so happy!


This is the other angle of the bed room. Here is another funny concept. Do you see the tiny closet behind derick, and the tiny 3 draws under the TV, that’s the ONLY storage for us! Well… there is the hall closet but I’m using that for the kids. But it would be so nice if I had enough space to store all the kids things in drawers too and space for all those suit cases we brought with us or just all our clothes in general. I just think it’s weird this is the “extended stay” lodging and yet there’s no storage for an extended stay. We at least get our own TV in our room. Canadian TV SUCKS by the way. You get under 40 channels, 3 of them are duplicate channels (like the same show at the same time on different channels), some channels are only in French, 3 kid channels none are that great. And then you have several talk-shows (Dr. Phill and crap like that) and then you have MANY news channels, most of them are USA news channels, lets not forget about the shopping channel (sometimes that’s the best thing to watch – sad but true), and then you have a like 3 channels where you MIGHT find something ok to watch like “Cake Boss” or “say Yes to the Dress” or “La Ink” (do you see my point… THOSE shows are the TOP of the list… so sad) and you’ll watch the touching story of fat brides finding a wedding dress, or losers telling their life story thru body graffiti all because there is nothing really GOOD on. I’m just so happy that my new computer can play DVDs!! “Hellboy” here I come!


Here is our HUDGE bathroom. I think this place was wheel chair designed cause the shower is SO big! This picture doesn’t even show it from end to end. The kids (mostly Andrew) LOVES to play in this shower. The glass door has no “lock”, you just swing it in or out to it’s “closed position” so he’s able to come and go very easily. He just likes going in there and hanging out. Aw, the mind of a kid. And there is that devil of a Jacuzzi tub… yeah you can read my other blog to see how I feel about that thing.


here is the other angle of our bathroom. Lots of counter top area and under-storage which is a very good thing.
(ok I’m about to pull out my soap box so get comfy… do you have a drink of water?... does anyone need to use the bathroom?... ok, lets proceed to do some serious reading then)
Overall, this has been a really great living space. The only thing that really bugs me is the frustration I have with the maids. I know most of yall are thinking “man I would just LOVE it if I had maid service at my home!” but it’s more of a hassle than you think. First you get this guilty feeling all the time cause they wont let you take out the trash or clean up yourself, and then they get frustrated if you don’t leave your room everyday. Luckily I talked to the front desk and they’re giving us more space then they normally do to guest. But there is still the matter of HOW they clean up the room. Let me explain. If I were only here for a week, then I would LOVE to just suck up as many hotel bath freebies as possible and take them home to add them to my emergency kit. But I’m here for a long run, so they’re more of a nuisance then anything else. Ever time they clean up the bathroom they lay out their own shampoos, bars of soap, hair cap, tissues, and toilet paper. ALL of which (besides the hair cap) I buy my own stuff. When you’re here for so long, you just need to buy your own toilet paper, tissues, hand soap and hair and body stuff cause it’s just better! But no matter how many times I move the hotels sample of shampoos and stuff under the sink, and lay out my own stuff they ALWAYS put their stuff BACK once they’ve cleaned the room. I know it’s protocol, but seriously, you can SEE our own supply of tissues, toilet paper, hand pump soap, shampoo, body wash, and stuff, so WHY do you keep moving my stuff to make room for the stuff I obviously don’t need or like?? I know, they have to do it, but why is it we always take what’s written on paper to more heart than what is just plain common sense?? They do the SAME thing with the trash bags. We had to buy our own large garbage can for the kitchen (they actually had us using those tiny black trash cans… which have NO room for kitchen cooking trash) and we got a trashcan with a lid for the bathroom cause we’ve got a kid in diapers and we don’t want to be smelling that all the time, it’s gross. So we bought our own trash liner bags too. I TOTALLY prefer our trash cans and trash bags to the hotel ones. If you can remember the last time you were in a hotel you might remembering throwing something into the trash and PUFF, the whole liner plumps in with it. But NO matter HOW many times we put out our own trash bags in the trash cans they always put their own hotel crummy flimsy brand of trash bags in our trash cans… EVEN if we put out our OWN trash bags boxes out there oh so nicely to say “hey HERE is the replacement bag, USE ME!” I just don’t get it. And they always put their thin junk toilet paper back on the ring, when I buy our own and keep putting OURS back on when they leave… I just think it’s obvious we want or need to do certain things for our room and I just don’t get why they keep going back to their own ways every time they come in to clean. It’s like a war between their ways and mine.
Ok. I’m done venting now. I need some chocolate.

1 comment: