Saturday, December 4, 2010

MONTREAL: it’s snowing in Montreal!

Montreal is VERY different from any part of Canada. When you’re here, you really ARE in a totally different country! It’s very French. ALL the signs are in French! And by LAW, everyone speaks French before speaking English. And no speaks English unless you make it obvious that you only speak English. I think the only blessing from not know the language was not being able to read the graffiti, or understand what drivers were swearing when they yelled at other fellow drivers or drunks staggering in the road (thankfully, that only happened 1 time). But the drivers there are very rude and very angry, lots of honking and yelling, surprisingly, no birdies though – that must be more of a USA thing. The roads are CRAZY, they don’t always have signs for merging lanes or whatever. And it’s against the law to turn on red. Lots of one ways, tunnels and bridges. It was CRAZY driving around. And working by a map when all the words were in French was really hard for me to work with. Every times I told derick a name of a road he still didn’t know what I meant. He said it was a combination of me being a dyslexic Texan trying to sound French that was really causing me to just butcher the words. It worked out better if I just tried to say it as plain as possible so I would say things like “turn left on “DAY-LA-CROTCH”. We got lost a few times. Thankfully Derick got his blackberry to work and give us driving directions, but it’s not like the name of the turns help though. After all, it was still all French names, so whenever the directions-lady-voice was saying the name of a street, it sounded more like she was throwing up. It mostly helped if I just help the phone and worked off the pictures of the map.

Sadly when we went out exploring, it was snowing again and yet again, we didn’t have the proper snow gear. But we still parked the car to get out and feel the snow a little. It was really cold too!

You’ll see in these pictures I was trying to take a picture of my family and then Andrew ran away and when I turned I saw what he was running too…

… yeah it was a black squirrel and the scary part was that the SQUIRREL started to run towards ANDREW too! It was like one of those moments your see in the movies where 2 long separated lovers are reunited ruining towards eachother in a field and cheesy music playing in the background. The squirrel must be very use to people cause he just ran right up to Andrew as if he was about to you jump on him, so I actually had to stop taking pictures and GRAB Andrew to keep the 2 apart. It was a little cool but in the animal world, that’s not a good sign when “wild” animals run up to people. He could be caring sick diseases.

fell a few times in the snow. And our clothes were getting wet with cold, so we quickly said this is stupid. Lets just enjoy the town from the car today. So we got back into the car and drove around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment