Monday, September 27, 2010

Chandler Park

Ok I’m taking on my challenge of finding new parks near us and I’ve discovered 3 today.

McLennan park while the largest out of the 3 and pretty, it was ALL mountain bike/bike tricks trails. I pulled in and it’s all lumps and bumps and teens on bikes all over the place, so I know this isn’t the right place for the kids. So x-na on that one. Oh – I did see a kid with his head bleeding before I left though. I watched him from my car for a minute while thinking for a minute that I should jump out and help him out. But he was fine. He was talking to his friends and they were all observing his broken helmet. Crazy, stupid sport. Stupid teens who like stupid crazy sports.

Elmsdale Park was our next try but it was mostly a baseball field. So I skipped out on that one too.

But 3rd times was the winner. We went to Chandler Park and even though it was the SMALLEST park on my printed out Google map, it was way better for us. It had baby swings, reg swings, great play skate with 2 slides, a sand box, basketball court, rocking horses, a rocking whale, and rocking car. Andrew was a sleep when we got there so he slept in the stroller while Amanda and I played and has some “us” time. It was great to just be the 2 of us and play.

We were having a great time and then, things got really uncomfortable when this lady and her daughter came up to join us. I usually like it when other kids come cause Amanda loves playing with other kids her age. But this wasn’t very great for ME. First off, they didn’t speak any English! I think they were Korean or something. But we start off meeting each other when I’m pushing Amanda on the swing and not how I imagined either. Amanda hops off for a sec, and this little girl wedges herself in between me and Amanda and gets on the swing I was just using for amanda. I’m like, “…ok.” So I help Amanda get onto the next swing right, but then this little girl is yelling at me in her language, I think she’s asking me to push her! I’m thinking “heck no, that’s your mommy’s job” I look over and her mommy is ON the rocking horse away from us as if she’s just a kid herself! Meanwhile her daughter keeps yelling me the same thing over and over and over again. And then her mom looks up and body language tells me to push her daughter! I’m like “WHAT!?” and I don’t know why I allowed it but I started to lightly push her on the swing. Not only am I peeved I’m doing this for someone else kid, I’m worried. I don’t want this kid to fall off and get hurt and it be MY fault. So I keep trying to firmly position my self and my attention on pushing my OWN kid so that this other kid and her mom gets the point that if she wants to be pushed her mom needs to do that not me. But I CONTINUE to get cheers and pleas from the girl, AND her mom to push this little girl. I finally start to say back to this little girl (with a happy voice and a smile) “ask your mommy” and I point to her mommy. But her mom is walking away and around the playground! And while I don’t think she even understood me, I was trying to get the body language to say “that’s your mommy’s job, not mine”. But it’s not working so great. So I try to change the situation, so I get Amanda off the swing and take her over to the playground to get her to go down the slide. Then this little girl follows us and then pots Amanda’s lunch bag from our pick nick spot and starts to OPEN IT when I quickly take it away and very nicely with a happy face say “oh, no no no”. I’m just wanting to know WHAT IS THE DEAL!? WHERE IS HER MOM! But the girl and Amanda start to play ok and Andrew wakes up so I go over to help him out and play with him for a while. I’m thinking, “ok maybe this will be ok”, things look to be a little normal, but man was I wrong. I look over and this little girl has TAKEN OFF HER PANTS AND UNDIES and walks over to the grass and SITS IN THE GRASS TO PEE! Amanda is following her asking her “friend what cha doing?” I yell “AMANDA! Get away! She needs some privacy!”, and of course the little girls mom is laying on the slide like a 4 year old not even looking to see what’s going on, but I’m thinking these mother and daughter have done this kind of thing before. And that is NOT where it ends. Let me ask you my friend, what is worse than watching a little girl stranger strip down and pee in public? The answer is, the girl’s mother… HER MOTHER! NO! I’m NOT KIDDING! I look up and the mother has walked over to this large cement block was acting like she was about to unbuckle her paints and I’m thinking “NO WAY!” she’s there for a while and comes around the corner pulling back up her pants!!! OH MY GOSH! WHERE AM I? IS THIS FOR REAL! I was just blown away. I mean we are at a park for crying out loud, there are homes with their windows open around us on 3 sides, and right next to us is the community center, WITH restrooms! Amanda, not too much longer says to me “mommy, I got to go to the potty” “well hun, I’m afraid all these territories have been claimed, we’re going to have to go inside the community center” so I grab both my kids and stroller and we go inside and to use a REAL potty!! When we came out it started to rain and luckily those strange people were gone anyhow so we left and came home.

Man it’s days like these I realize, I’m doing a MUCH better job at being a Mommy then I give myself credit!

1 comment: