Thursday, October 14, 2010

NY: Friday - Willowbrook Park Cemetery



We wanted to visit some cemeteries and get pictures of head stones for Derick’s Family History records. It was so much fun working together as a family walking thru this cemetery looking for family members. It was like a treasure hunt.

We came to this one family stone that was overgrown with sod, dirt, and leaves, I couldn’t get a good enough picture for our records. So I got down and tore up some of the over grown sod with my hands, and then I washed it down with water and cleaned it up a little. It made me feel good to do that.

The next time I DO go to the cemetery to take family history pictures, I’ve decided you need to bring: a bucket, small hand rake, spray bottle with water, sponge, wet towel in a zip locked bag, mini soap and a bed sheet. And wear a skirt. Most of those are to either clean up the stone, or your own hands when you’re done. But the bed sheet and skirt tip is so you can take a better picture of the stone no matter how the sun is. Because the light was getting too bright to take a picture and read it, I needed to make a shadow over the stone in order to read the words when the picture was taken. I wore a skirt and it was really helpful when taking a picture. I spreaded my legs wide enough until I made a big enough shadow over the stone-head so I could take a picture. It was very helpful but not very pretty to watch, I totally looked like I was taken a squat over the stone. Not pretty – but it was what was needed to get done. So get –er done!
I won’t be posting the family names or stones, but you can see our “Pretty Pictures” of Jesus. Hope you like them!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I found it was helpful to take a pencil to darken up the engravings that were weather worn. Making a rubbing of the stone is really cool too!

    ReplyDelete