Thursday, December 2, 2010

OTTAWA: Museum

After Andrew just couldn’t take it anymore in the cold, we decided to retreat back to the car. We sat there for awhile, while I tried to figure out what our next step would be. This would be our only time to tour Ottawa, and even though it was too cold to hang outside, I still didn’t want to just run back to the hotel just yet. I did see the museum from the parliament hill, I decided to just drive in it’s general direction to see if we could get down there. If I couldn’t find it then we would head back home. But luckily we were able to find it and it’s parking garage. We spent the next 2-3hrs walking around the museum. It was built like a maze, I hate it when museums are built like that. I hate to miss anything and when you’re standing in a room and you see an opening on your left and your right, you can end up spend a lot of time walking back and forth to find the what was the dead end, and what takes you to the next rooms. the building overall had a very modern feel and some inspirations from honey combs I think.
When you enter, you walk down the long ramp

Then it opens up to a general opened up area where the roof looks like the honey comb design I told you about.

And there are glass walls, so you can see all the cool buildings around you. You can see the large metal spider in front on the museum…

… which is kind of oddly placed directly across from the Notre-dam church. It almost looks like the spider is about to attack the church! Lol…

… and you can see the parliament building

Sadly of course I couldn’t take pictures inside the exhibit themselves… I did get some post cards from the gift shop of some of the art we saw so keep your eye out on the mail for those.
The BIG, “only here for a limited time” exhibit was a lot of fun. It was called “it is what it is” which I think is a very appropriate name for an exhibit. Especially when you’ll find piece of “art” made out of left over dryer-fluff. Lol. There was one really WEIRD piece that I really loved looking at. It’s kind of hard to explain so bare with me for a moment. It would be interesting to see where your imagination takes you too with this one: when you walk into the this dark lit room there is an 3D display on a large thin box sitting in the middle of the room. Sticking out of it are some fake flowers and tree branches and in the middle stretching from end to end of the display (and with some parts hanging off to the sides) is this giant size sasquatch that’s been brutally murdered and is laying on the ground. So he’s in the form of a man, but has white skin and white animal hair all over him. Parts of his body are broken off and opened up and your see inside strange looking body parts covered in glitter, paint, wires with beads on them, and (my favorite part) crystal shards made out of mirrors bursting out of him. It was kind of gross, but kind of cool. There were all kinds of weird little things added to his antimony that made him so strange. Like a miniature stair case made out of mirrors that wrapped around his leg. Or the miniature people made from clay, running down his arm. It was weird, but I really loved the mirror made crystal bursting up here and there. I loved how they made mirror reflections of light on the walls.

We were walking pretty fast thru the museum. Andrew was asleep in the stroller and I wanted to see as much as I could before he woke up and wanted to get out and run. Amanda was a little noisy at times, but overall, I’m very proud at how both of how she behaved in the museum. Andrew too when he woke up.

I really love romantic traditional type of paintings, mainly portraits. The kind of the paintings that were done in order to tell the story or history of a certain someone or family line. When painting are made for no other reason than just to “express oneself” and so that every person who sees it “sees something different” those type of paintings can be fun, but I have a hard time respecting the artists degree of mastering the paintbrush. Many people would say the whole point of art “is that there are NO rules!” but I have to disagree. No-rule painting can be fun, but I think they provide little substance to the viewer and require no effort of prospects for those wanting to be a painter someday. Derick would call them “duck farts” paintings. I really love paintings where the artist has tried to create a would similar to the one we know of using paint. Those type of paintings have both purpose and require a high degree and talent, skill and perseverance to achieve their purpose. I like those type of paintings the most.

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at your art critique. You express yourself really well. I could picture it easily.

    ReplyDelete