Sunday, December 12, 2010

Let it be CHRISTMAS!

I am so proud of myself! Trying to work as close to the budget of $0 I had to get creative with making our home feel like “Christmas” this year. So ever since we moved into our town house I’ve been saving a lot of our recyclable items hoping I would find some fun way to use them when Christmas came to make the home fun and festive.

When we were out looking for a tree, we decided it would be best all around to just but a fake tree and then donate it later or something. We decided to go totally opposite from what we usually do to decorate our home in TX. After all, we CANT recreate it here to a T, so we thought it would be best to just go different and be BOLD! So we bought a WHITE Christmas tree! It’s so funny when the hot color lights are on, it looks PINK!
I took pictures of each stage of “setting up the tree” and I was thinking, wouldn’t it be fun to have these on a fast slid show, popping back and forth. I thought it would be funny anyhow. As my dad would say “here’s the tree breathing in… and here’s the tree breathing out…”

I don’t have a picture of our tree all decked out just yet cause I’m working on the star still and I want to show what the tree looks like in all it’s glory.
I did however made all these ornaments. I took some cookie cutters, and traced the shapes out, cut them, laminated them, and glued some bells and jewels for some extra BLING. punched a hole and used wrapping ribbon for the loops. Ah-oh… someone’s tree looks FABULOUS!!.

We got some old fashion post cards from the museum that dose reenactments of life in 1914s. They gave us the postcards and told us how people would save them and make ornaments out of them in the old days, so I just did the same thing. they look very nice and again, a FREE project for the home!

Now this next idea is ALL ME! I came up with this idea ALL on my own (no help from the internet on this one), and I think it’s so clever and pretty! I made these pretty snowflakes for our wall, and I made them out of Pringle cans! I’m just so grateful that God gave me such a cute idea. One that allowed me to make our home pretty for Christmas by using recycled items.
In your face Martha Stewart!!

I made it by first starting with some simple cuts like these around the can.

Then you flatten it out

And then you make these kind of cuts on both type of spines on BOTH sides

And there you have it!

Now after the whole white-tree-that-turns-pink, we decided it only fitting that we make our home into a hot-colored / candy land type style of Christmas. So we bought HOT colored paper and cut out snowflakes and hung them from the ceiling.

And then we made a chain and wrapped it around the room.

This is something I came up with too. I wanted to make a gingerbread house but I knew if I did, Andrew would be PESTERING me every second to eat all the candy! So to fight back the tantrums but still have the fun, we made a gingerbread house out of leftover cereal boxes! I printed off the candy details and glued them on! I think it is supper cute and clever, the kids LOVED it and Amanda helped me put it together.

This is how I made it…

And then of cores I had to make some gingerbread people on sticks so we could play house!

By the way… I, the laminating queen, have been laminating the WRONG way ALL this time! Oh man! I feel so stupid! All this time, I’ve been cutting out on paper my item, and THEN laminating it and then RE-cutting. What I should have been doing (and NOW am doing) you leave the item UNCUT and LAMINATE it, and THEN you cut the item out and that way it comes out looking really nice, sharp, clean cut and professional like.
The next project was some simple Santa Masts for the kids. I printed this fun faces off from the internet, laminated and cut them out. They came out so GREAT! The kids LOVED them, and they looked SO funny wearing them!!

This is one of the things I didn’t make but have LOVED this season. We bought some small-small candles and each box had 4 and came in these AWESOME holiday scents!
You have “cinnamon spice”, “sugar cookie”, “gingerbread crème”, “festive fruit cake”, “winter berries”, “crackling embers”, “candy cane”, “balsam pine”. I loved the berry and fire-place smells the most! I DON’T like the fruit cake one at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment