Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snow crafts

With as cold as it’s been for a while now, I thought it would be a perfect time to try some of these winter-crafts I’ve always wanted to do but never was able too before.
This one, was a great way for us to use some more of our recyclable items for FUN projects. We took our leftover orange cartons, cut the tops off, and filled them with different things like leftover fast-food toys, pine cones, nuts, seeds and stuff like that. You then fill it up with water, and food coloring. And then leave them outside to freeze over thru the night. Then the next morning run them under hot water, shake them out from carton and then put them outside for decorations. if you notice I HAD planed on hanging them, thats why there's a purple ribbon hanging out of them. but I just desided to put them on the rail outside on the portch. I just hope they dont stain the wood... mmm... I may need to rethink that part.

Then we got to do a snowflake activity. (I’VE AWAYS wanted to do this!) it’s where you take a piece of black paper, hold it out as the snow falls to catch the snowflakes and then you’re able to really see and observe what the snowflakes LOOK like! Do you know I’ve NEVER really SEEN what a snowflake LOOKED like till I came here? Really! I mean, I’ve seen snow, and I’ve seen pictures of what snowflakes looked like, but I thought that was on a microscopic level or something, cause when I looked at snow falling down, I never saw that pretty little shape, I just had NO IDEA that you could see what they looked like with the naked eye. But here in Canada, you can get snow that’s just tiny little individual snowflakes falling down. It’s the best when you’re in the car and you watch them land on your window shield. SO cool! I can actually say I’ve really have seen snowflakes now and know what they look like!
It was really fun to do this craft with Amanda, but sadly I couldn’t get a good enough shot to show you the cool shape of snowflakes themselves. I tried though. You can kind of see them if you can zoom into this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment