Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jehovah Witnesses

Oh man, I’m still having a shaking, on the edge of tears feeling in my heart. And “why?” you may ask, it’s all because a set of Jehovah Witnesses came to my door.

In the past I’ve had Jehovah Witnesses come to my door before, I’m nice to them, I’ve invited them into my home, and I’ve made breakfast while talking with them and I’ve told them that while I appreciate them telling people about Christ, I wasn’t interested in the books they wanted to give me or bible bashing about points of belief, but I’ve always told them that if they ever wanted to talk about Christ they were welcomed into my home. I didn’t have a good of an experience with these men.

These guys were 30-something and 50-something and the 50-something guy was the one who talked with me. More like quizzed me and interrogated me.

When they came to my door I always polite. I say they were carrying a bible and I asked the first question “Are you Christian, so am I” “what religion” “I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints” he didn’t say much to that, he just jumps into what he has to say “what do you think will happen to the earth?” “oh, well let me tell you…” I then give them a water-down version of the earth having to go thru the same process as man, baptism with the flood with Noah, and then fire of spirit when Christ comes again, and then the earth will be glorified and made whole” They wide-eye pull out a scripture talking about it being a place for all of us to live forever. “man shall inherit the earth” I told them I wasn’t sure if this was the place we would live with God, only that I knew the earth will gain it’s own glory as we will after death and that we will live with God if worthy, weather this WOULD BECOME the celestial kingdom or not, I wasn’t sure. He of course says “well if you read the bible you would be sure of things”.

He was about to jump to something else but jumped in to ask the next question, I then asked “tell me what you believe happens to man when he dies because I know I’m very specific on that in my religion” He turns to pages telling that all men fall asleep and have a unconteousness. (sp?) “so you’re saying that the spirit of man disappears after death?” “yes, in a way yes” “well I’m sorry but I KNOW that not to be true” “well as you see in the scriptures that is what’s written” “well I’m sorry you only read 2 verses, there are a lot more scriptures there, and I KNOW that there are scriptures that you’re not reading that support otherwise. Besides we know that even science supports the fact that matter cannot be created or destroyed only changed, if we were to be born having a union of body and spirit and then be temperately separated after death only to have the spirit completely disappear, then what IS there for Jesus to rejoin at the resurrection, WHERE is that spirit coming from? It cant just be made up, otherwise your not talking about a resurrection but a first birth, what would be the point of resurrection if the spirit gaining it hadn’t lived yet?” I see him starting to flip to argue and I jump in “I would like to share with you a message of what I know to be true, I KNOW that after death the spirit doesn’t disappear but goes thru a process of teaching and learning, otherwise all those people who have lived without knowing Christ could never have a chance of knowing what they’ve done of earth wasn’t right and that they’re unprepared to rejoin God” “you show me where in the Bible it says that” “I’m sorry but I’m not going to Bible bash with you” “well you just show me where it says that” Now I’m having the regret that I don’t know my scriptures like a notzy. “I’m sorry I don’t know exactly where” he then flips and read of course “all men must be prepared to explain themselves no matter where or to whom of the things they say to be true.” I look at him and said “I’m sorry, I’m 25, I’m still learning where all my key points are in my scriptures. But even if I could, this isn’t right, I can not pull out my scriptures to show you what I know to be true when I feel this. You are causing a shaking in my spirit and I know that’s the Holly Ghost telling me this is not right, and the scriptures do say that unless you have the spirit present you can not teach! I can only testify to you of what I know to be true and I know that we do not disappear after death.” “well you’ve never come to our door to tell us so, and we’re here not to share this message with you” “I support missionaries all around the world who do go to doors, and if you’d let me, I’d be more than happy to give you their number and you can ask them all the questions you want” “well, we’ve come across your missionaries before and none of them have ever said anything about this afterlife a time for the spirits to learn that you’re talking about. But I tell you what, we’ll give you some time to go thru your scriptures and we’ll be back another time and you can show us in the bible where it says that.” I didn’t really say anything, but my face was showing a hurt discouraged look. I’m not sure if I said anything. I think we said goodbyes.

I don’t want to talk with them again. And now that they’re gone I’m left with this horrible feeling on the verge of tears just feeling sink in my heart. I DID NOT ASK for this horrible spirit to be in me and my home. I don’t want to bible bash OR search my scriptures so I could do anything like that. It’s not right, but I’m still here feeling disappointed in myself that I wasn’t able to use my scriptures to show my beliefs. I feel like I’ve let my religion down, but I still don’t believe it’s right to bible bash. Even if I DID know where EVERY SINGLE scriptures was that proved ANYTHING, nothing converts a person other than spirit, and bible bashing will never bring the spirit.

4 comments:

  1. I finally feel a lot better. Just so yall know. I called dad, read 3 Nephi 11 and ok with the fact that I just CAN NOT talk to those people anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheer up! You did a great job. I usually send them on their way. Also, it's difficult to teach truths from an incomplete book. It sounds like they would only accept specific Scriptures as "proof" but bearing your testimony and allowing the Spirit to testify to them is powerful. I hope the rest of your day is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a way better person than I am! I usually act like I'm not home when they come by.

    ReplyDelete