Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Show-down at high noon

I find it ironic that when I was a kid I moaned and sulked when my dad would pick out a cowboy movie to watch on the TV. I hated westerns. If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. And yet I married a man who LOVES cowboy movies as well, and I have to admit they’ve grown on me. And then this morning my kids were re-enacting that common western-drama, and even got their mommy into it. It was so funny, let me lay out the scene for you. I was trying to put away the kids clothes and one of the hangers fell to the ground. Andrew picks it up and started using it as a gun running up to Amanda and me making “pew!” noises at us. Amanda picks up her flashlight and starts “shooting” back at him saying “don’t worry mommy I’ll save you!”. I most humbly recognized my role as the bar show girl who’s skin-deep reputation of honor was being defended by the towns sherif (played by Amanda) from the towns ruffian, bandit-Bart (played by Andrew). I was just trying to put the laundry away, how did I get dragged into this? But as any decent damsel in distress I cheered on my hero in a most awful southern-twain accent, “oh save me sheriff! You awful Bart, you wont get away with this! You’re no match for Sherif Amanda! Save me! Save me!”. They had an dreadful show-down in the towns square and Andrew without any instruction from any of us look a shot to the chest and flew himself face down onto the floor, lay still for a moment, jumped up to give one last shot and then returned to ground quite dramatically and they he laid. Amanda triumphantly hugged me and cheered that we won!

Man, I cant wait to see what they cook up for me to do when we do the dishes downstairs.

1 comment: